Thursday, April 26, 2012

Pilot's Wife - Part 8

I am sitting at home sick right now on the couch and realized that I hadn't written this week's post.  I can't keep my head up, so I am literally curled up in a blanket with my comfy pillow propping me up while watching the Today Show and surfing the internet.  The only constructive things I did today were drive Josh to the KIA dealership to drop off his car, mailed a package, and cleaned my bedroom.  Then I got too exhausted and had to lay down again.

Thanks to Josh for writing last week's post. If you missed it, check it out here:  Pilot's Wife - Part 7 Right now, he is out in the garage cleaning out our file cabinets.  Good times.  Good times.

If you know me, you know that I have the WORST memory of any one on the planet. Literally. I always thought the Bible said to "forgive and forget", but as I did my research today, did you know that it doesn't say that ANYWHERE IN THE BIBLE? God DOES say to forgive people....and to keep forgiving them. Interesting.....the closest verses I could find were:

"I, even I, am He who blots out your transgressions for My own sake; and I will not remember your sins. Put Me in remembrance; let us contend together; state your case, that you may be acquitted." -Isaiah 43:25-26

"Their sins and lawless acts I will remember no more." -Hebrews 10:17

So, now I can't say that my forgetfulness is of God!!  haha...

The whole point of that last tangent is to say that I don't remember many details from 10 years ago when we were first married, but Josh's last post talked about the summer in Ellensburg while I was getting my masters degree.  What I DO remember is that the last quarter - which was during the summer - completely SUCKED.....and I will say that over and over again.  I believe it was the most stressed out I have ever been in my life. I was in the library almost EVERY day researching my thesis exam (because I didn't have to write a paper).  So, it was almost better that my poor husband was training in  between Portland and Seattle because I was busy almost every day. I was sleeping on an air mattress in a room in my friend's apartment.  It was absolutely gorgeous outside that summer (80-100 degrees every day) and all I wanted to do was float the river with my friends, but I was always inside studying or researching.

Josh came to visit me and brought with him pictures of a couple of houses in Vancouver, WA where he had been house-hunting with a couple of his friends from his training class. Due to my Masters and being through surgery I wasn't able to go to Vancouver with him to hunt for houses.  He thought he had found "the one" he wanted.  He asked me to trust him to make the right decision, as I wouldn't be able to go see it.  I told him that I did and we called the bank and signed the papers in Yakima after it was all completed.  I make it sound like it was a quick process, but really it took a couple months.

I got back the results of my test, and I had only passed 4 of the 7 essays on this exam.  I had spent 4 hours in a small room with only a computer and a page a typed notes.  So, I had to go back and re-do the 3 essays that I had messed up on. And to top it all off, I found out I had a cyst that I needed to get removed the day after my big exam.  It was quite painful and the recovery would be about a week, so I was IN PAIN during my exam.  That was probably one of the worst parts of all. After that last re-take, I had my surgery and was holed up on the couch watching the latest DVD of Friends to come out and ended up gaining 10 pounds.  I'm not even kidding!  I vaguely remember Josh coming to visit me through my pain meds. :)

In early July of that summer, we rented a U-Haul and our wonderful friends and family in the Ellensburg/Yakima area helped us pack up our little apartment. Josh drove the U-Haul BY HIMSELF to the new house to unpack it all, as I was still finishing up school.  My mom, sister, brother, and other members of our family helped Josh to set up THE ENTIRE house that week.

In mid-July of that summer, I bought a '97 Honda Accord on the way home from church camp and drove to our house for the very first time.  It still amazes me to this day that the first time I saw our house was after it was ALREADY BOUGHT, ALL SET UP, and all of my things were already moved in and in place.  We didn't even have to paint the walls because everything went with our style.  Can I just tell you, that I have hardly re-arranged anything since then?  I LOVE the way my mom and sister set it up!  It has almost been 8 years since we moved in here!  haha...I can't find our old pictures of the house, but I did find these two that I took this past winter of Christmas Lights at night.

I thought something looked weird on this until I realized I had photoshopped out our address!  LOL...
I went back to Ellensburg to finish up that quarter and then came to Vancouver to go through their 2 week "New Teacher Training".  Really it's one week in a large cafeteria with all the other new teachers and then a week in different smaller break-out sessions depending on what your assignment is.  I was hired to teach high school "learning support English" which means kids with learning disabilities in reading and writing.  It was not my first choice, by far, but I was so glad to have a job closer to my husband that I didn't care!

Josh is sitting here watching me type and just reminded me that the Interns from Central WA actually lived in our house before we did!  haha!  That is right!  Josh wasn't around much because he was in Seattle now working.  And once I moved away from Ellensburg and into our house, I was living in it with 2 college boys!!

I never had roommates in college because I had a single room my freshman year and was a resident advisor the 2 years in between before Josh and I got married.  So, now I've had more roommates AFTER I was married than before!!!!  2 girls during my masters and interns living in our house.  I find that so funny!


  1. You've lived there 8 years! I remember the lady who lived there before you and Josh and then you both moving in. Wow! Keep up with the story. Kate has rediscovered and has been sleeping with the fleece blanket you got her when she was born (5 years ago).


Thanks so much for commenting! I enjoy your feedback!